Well, this is something like a New Year's Resolution. Basically, we realized that between the two of us, we have over 52 years of dieting experience! So, we wanted to draw on that experience.... and our writing talents, to create something that can support us both as we try our best to be healthy... and possibly lose weight. So this will be part food diary, part emotional discussion, part fun... and hopefully completely successful.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

So, I'm watching for the first time, "America's Biggest Loser." It's the opening session, and I've been spending the last 15 minutes crying as I watch them, since I feel what they feel.

I'm tired of feeling this way, I'm tired of hiding behind my weight, I'm tired of being looked at for being fat, I"m tired of using that as my identifier. I'm smart, I'm a good writer, I'm funny, I'm a smart ass, I'm a hard worker, I'm a good daughter, a good friend... but to me, I think that the world sees me as fat.

Honestly, people probably do see me as smart, funny, smart ass, good worker, etc. But I see myself as being fat, and probably portray myself as such. I've used being fat as an excuse for a lot of things.

And I've used a lot of things as an excuse for being fat.

Wow. The show just had one of the contestants, on day 1 before even really working out, pass out. So it's an interesting way of showing the real life and death situation of being overweight. This show has the heaviest weigh-in ever (454 lbs) and the heaviest woman ever (374).

I've also been reading some of that dude... let me go look him up. The "I can make you thin" dude. Paul McKenna (thank you Google). He's got some interesting ideas, including some I think could help you, Mary.

It's the idea that when you're hungry... you should eat. And you should eat what you want.

But the idea is to enjoy what you're eating. Not to watch TV, or read, or drive, or anything. Just eat, enjoying each bite. In fact, you're supposed to smell your food between each bite to fully appreciate the food.

Perhaps that's a way you can get enjoyment from food, without having to overeat and feel completely full.

Anyway, it's the time for the weigh-in. The best line so far is a woman saying "My weight is higher than a linebacker for the Green Bay Packers." People are crying during the weigh in, so I'm crying again.

Okay, I wish that Nora Roberts could watch this so that she could get a feel for real people's weights. There's that one woman that Nora described as "huge and fat" and she was 180 pounds. Hell, I'd love to be 180 pounds.

I'm trying to exercise a bit while watching this show. I really wish my damned treadmill worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home